5.18.2008

My Weekend

A rather blase title for a rather diary-esque blog entry, but that's about all my tired brain can handle right now.
 
It's been really warm this weekend, but it's been a good weekend. Yesterday, Nate and I got up to clean the house before he went to spend time with Tom, who is visiting from Florida. Turned out Tom had a cold, so those plans were nixed and we spent the rest of the day holed up inside our cool house, escaping the heat by keeping the windows and doors shut, and working on cleaning out the music room. Nate took a carload of stuff to Goodwill. We could have had a kick-ass garage sale with all the stuff we've been donating to Goodwill recently, but we have neither time, space nor inclination to do so. When Nate came home I was lying on the bed resting and told him I felt a little sentimental watching him take all our junk away. He said he was, too. Which is funny; it was all really useless to us; books we will never read again; a $25 guitar he bought off a student and was going to fix up someday; an old amp that didn't work very well; our first computer (sans hard drive, of course); and, a bag of clothes that I wore back when we lived in North Park. We would never have used anything in that pile again, but it was so familiar that it caused some pain to see it go. Isn't that funny? (Funny=unpredictably wierd, not funny=ha ha)
 
So, anyway, then we got all dolled up and went to a fancy shmancy fundraiser for ARTS, the nonprofit organization that my Leadership Action Team did our project for. There were 10 chefs from around San Diego, free drinks, a silent auction, a live auction, and live music under the stars afterward. It was at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, outside, and it was a beautifully warm San Diego evening, with a beautiful sunset. It was a lot of fun. We bid on a piece of artwork by a 9 year old, but someone outbid us permanently by filling in the "buy-it-now" price. Ah, well. We ended up just donating our money in the end (since what we had wasn't enough to win anything!). But it was still a lot of fun. The auctioneer for the live auction was a hoot.
 
Tillie has laid 5 eggs in the last week and it looks like she's working on another one now. I have no clue how in the world she fit all those eggs underneath her carapace. Crazy.
 
Today we went to church like normal, except that it was only Mary, Nate, Leonard & I so we had a really stripped down, acoustic set. That was fun, but I was really not in the mood to be around people after having been so dang social the night before. Now that we're not in the budget anymore it will be nice to have some Sundays off for awhile when stuff like that comes up.
 
This afternoon we stayed holed up in our house again to avoid the heat. Nate napped and I started researching baby stuff online so that we have somewhere intelligent to start from when we go out to register. I must admit I'm starting to get pretty anxious about whether or not we're going to have enough time to get everything done (everything being childbirth education classes, registering, the music room emptied, cleaned, and baby furniture in and set up) before Nate leaves for the workshop. By the time he comes back it will be hot, I'll be huge, and we'll only have a month before the due date. We'd be okay if we brought the baby home today, but it sure would be nice to get all that stuff taken care of now so that we can just relax as much as possible before the baby comes and he goes back to school.
 
We ventured out to Lowe's late in the afternoon to look at our air cooling options and price dishwashers and laundry machines (ours don't work and almost don't work, respectively). We found what we think will be a great solution for our cooling dilemma; it's a $500 portable air conditioner that cools up to 500 square feet and exhausts through the sliding door. We'll have to put up a plexiglass panel to close off the door opening, but the guy at Lowe's was really helpful in explaining to us how it could work. That's a relief.
 
Tomorrow morning is our monthly appointment with the NP. We're going to record the heartbeat. (Cool!!) And I have to do my sugar screening test to check for gestational diabetes. (Yuck!)  Friday morning we are going to have the 4-D ultrasound with our families. That will be really really cool!
 
Enough of this blah blah blah. Have you completely fallen asleep yet?  :) 

2 comments:

Hilary said...

You'll have to let me know how your appointment goes! I wish I could be there to help you get things set up for baby... miss you, love you -
Hilary

Abby said...

I just want you to know that I am thinking of you! I love you tremendously! XOXO :)