"I swear," Nate says as he comes in the door at dinnertime after teaching, "I think she got older while we were gone today."
Well, yeah. She did. (We all did.) But - oh my goodness - she did!! Sometimes she seems to change so quickly she's an older baby in the short time it takes me to take a shower.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm too much of a pushover. I ran across this online:
"By the time your child is six, you will have reached what one psychologist we talked to calls "planned detachment." Your child will check in for breakfast, be out the door, check in for lunch, and be gone again. You'll say "You're looking well, dear," you'll write a note to remind him of chores, and finally at dinner you'll get to talk some. After dinner some card playing, singing, or other family-oriented activity reconnects you with the individual who used to stick to you like Velcro."Okay. I can deal with that. Just knowing I'll be in the shower missing her in six short years makes the 2-minute-quickies-so-I-don't-have-a-FULL-on-tantrum a little easier to deal with. ;)
The same article also said this:
"The time between the ages of fourteen and eighteen months is very hard for mothers. The high-energy toddler wants to do everything, but he still needs mother involved "big time." Mothers of one-year-olds need to gear up for this marathon spurt of giving, because the tendency is to think "Ah, now he's one – I'll be able to ease off." You will eventually, but not yet. Hang in there through age eighteen months, then be alert for signs that your toddler is trying to make space between you."Now, I know every baby is different (and I would like to add that "hard" does not necessarily = "unpleasant." Being a mommy is wonderful, but it is hard!) but I think this is a great description of where we're at. Me, looking forward to getting different things done more often, like dishes, ironing, and (gasp!) maybe an art project or two. Eden, getting into anything and everything but sticking really close to Mommy (the velcro analogy is spot-on). It's so helpful to read things like this because it reminds me that every moment is precious, so fleeting, and worth remembering.
1 comment:
I have a niece that is two and a half and still clings to her mother like velcro, while her 9 month old sister is happy to play by herself or be held by anybody. Ahh, generalities. But even if your velcro baby detaches at 18 months or six years old, time is fleeting and you'll miss it. I love it when my 16 month old wraps his legs around me and clings to me desperately. It reminds me that he is still my baby, and that he still loves me and that I'm irreplaceable to him. I want to soak in all his babyness before it's gone.
And I KNOW what you mean about them suddenly getting older. Michael had one of those last night.
Post a Comment