10.03.2009

Octoberfest


Today is Saturday, October 3. It's the sort of day where your nose is a little too dry for comfort, the air is warmish-cool and smells a little dusty from the light Santa Ana, and it's warm-warm-warm when you're in the sun. A typical, wonderful, Southern California fall day.

Not a cloud in the blue, blue sky. A slight breeze that kicks up every now and then.

It's summer, still, but with a teasing hint of fall that makes you want to whip out your scarfs, shake out your coats and throw a pot of beef stew on the stove until you realize you're still wearing a tank top and shorts and it's hittin' 90 degrees in the sun.

Ah, Fall.

It's Octoberfest in La Mesa today. Miss Eden and I are going to go meet Nate there after he's done teaching and take in the sights and sounds. She and I spent almost the entire morning outside today. We took a walk around the block before breakfast. Spent an hour and a half in the park right after breakfast, blowing bubbles and playing ball. And then spent another hour on the back porch, cleaning off the slide (she likes to clean it with baby wipes) and tearing up advertisements that Mommy pulled out of the magazine she was reading.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Summer used to be my favorite season; I think it's pretty safe to say that now my favorite season is Fall. I'm not keen on the shorter days, but I love the cooler weather, the anticipation of long evenings at home. Holiday preparations, warmer, heartier foods. Steaming mugs of coffee, tea or cider on crisp mornings or cool nights.

Snuggling up under the covers.

Coats, seaters and socks.

Hot showers and snuggly pj's.

Crunchy leaves beneath my feet.

Visits to Michigan. :)

No comments: