1.26.2010

Arguably my favorite place in the whole wide world

There is nothing like a hot shower to calm the frazzled, harried, worked-to-the-core and bone-weary nerves of a mommy who has had a very bad day and is at the end of a very long rope.

Hot showers have been my best remedy for practically everything I've dealt with physically since becoming a mom, especially since I'm breastfeeding and can't take meds like most people do. Colds and sore throats and sinus problems, post-partum maladies, headaches, general aches and pains, plugged ducts or milk blisters....you name it, a hot shower seems to make it better.
 
I LOVE HOT SHOWERS.
 
I love to stand under the water and read magazines. (No, they don't get super wet. It's all in having the shower head at the right height.)
 
I love to lean up against the wall and close my eyes and listen to the drops of water cascade like a waterfall.
 
I love to feel the heat begin to slowly relax my shoulders and make its way down my back and my legs.
 
I can't imagine what I would do to wind down after a harrowing night like we had tonight without a shower. I don't medicate with alcohol. I don't take Tylenol PM. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke. Thank God for hot showers is all I can say. They are my solace and my place to re-center.
 
There are all sorts of things I can do in the shower, you see. I can pray. I can cry. I can sing songs (even of my own making). I can read (yes, I am a champion at this. I even know what kind of paper will hold up in the shower, and have been known to even read library books there....shhhhh). I can do simple yoga, I can sit a spell, I can have full-on conversations (even angry ones, mind you) with hypothetical people in hypothetical situations. I can plan my next scrapbook. I could probably even crochet, but I haven't tried that one yet and I think I'll leave that one unknown for the foreseeable future.
 
I'm sure there are environmentally conscious people out there who would be aghast at this. I, too, care about our environment and I don't normally take long showers. In fact, you'd be quite proud of my unshaven legs and rarely-washed hair.
 
Some days, though, when there isn't anything left in me to give, I am so thankful that our water is "free" and that our water heater is large enough to outlast my leg muscles and glad that Eden finally slept long enough tonight to let me read most of Newsweek and clear my thoughts a bit in a nice hot shower.
 
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. I needed it.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I love this about you. Always have. Remember the shower games we used to play??

Thank God for hot showers, amen!

Pol* said...

I love showers too, especially since being a mom. There is the warmth, the clean, the soothing white noise sound of the water like a coccoon that excuses you from anything else while you are in there.

You read in there? I haven't tried that, but I do eat chocolate.... really GOOD chocolate!

Lisa C said...

lol. I can't imagine anyone reading in the shower! Wow. I love hot showers in the evening when the days are cold, to warm me up. Obviously, they don't have quite the same therapeutic qualities as they do for you. But I do have this thing about running water...like even though I'm eco-conscious in many ways, I love to run the water while I'm doing the dishes. I just makes me feel good.