Blogs, webfeeds....they aren't really difficult, but it does take some time to sort everything out. Especially when you're starting from scratch. I feel old. I'll bet my little sister and brother (who aren't little anymore) know how to do all this stuff.
I can see how some of our older generations can be frustrated with this whole Internet business. I must admit I feel a little lost in cyberspace. I want to do stuff but I don't know how to do it, and it seems everyone is speaking a different language which is in English but I still don't understand.
Then there is the generation younger than me, who knew their way around their computer before they could talk. I'll probably be teaching these folks in a few years, and I'll seem all old and stodgy and they'll be so--savvy. And I'm really not old, or stodgy.
So I'm exploring these RSS feeds, or web feeds, or whatever they are called. I like Google and I love gmail, so I thought I'd try Google's webfeed service, which is called Google Reader. They have a neat-o video of one of their engineers - you should watch it (http://google.com/reader) and then you can sign up for subscriptions (free) to different things on the Internet. Like this blog (so go sign up).
You can even personalize your own Google home page with my blog on it. Isn't that grand? (Please tell me you have better things to do.)
Nifty little things, these web feeds. I just browsed through a whole NPR: Morning Edition in about 37 seconds instead of listening to the whole thing on the radio. Wow.
So now, every morning, I can log in to Google, check my email, update my blog, "read" NPR, see if there are any good recipes for dinner, get my quote for the day, check the weather, and glance through the news all before I get through half a cup of coffee.
I'm hooked.
No comments:
Post a Comment