7.07.2009

Has anyone seen my manual?

This past month has been especially hard for me. I haven't been sure why. Casey et al. would tell me it's because I'm busy. I will give you that I am busy, yes. But I am always busy. That's not new to Molly-Land.

No, I think it's deeper than that, much more internal. I think it probably has to do with the continuing adjustment to mommy-hood. The letting go of the old Molly and embracing of the newMolly.

For instance, the new Molly has to develop entirely new strategies for relaxation. Strategies that do not require long lengths of time and solitude. The new Molly must also discover new techniques for day-to-day activities that up until now have worked quite successfully but all of a sudden no longer make sense. Like taking out the trash. How to take out a large, heavy, dripping bag of trash with a squirmy ten-month-old?

It can certainly be done. I just have to figure out how. Has anyone seen my manual lying around?

Oh, wait, there isn't one.

Ah, well, learning is half the battle, eh?

2 comments:

Hilary said...

It's probably ok to leave Eden in the house alone long enough to take out the trash... it takes getting used to though. Things like that get easier with the second and subsequent kids, though I know that doesn't help you out now!

I wish I were there...

Hilary

Abby said...

Even if she freaks out a little, Hilary is right. You've gotta know that at some point she's going to have to learn to be a little independent. I remember when I went through that with Josh. If I had to go down to the basement to switch the laundry or something he would stand at the top of the stairs ans bawl until I got back up there. It something every mother has to do with their child, push them a little to use their wings ;)