I'm headed back to work on Monday after almost 2 1/2 weeks off. I don't think I've ever taken that much time off work, ever, with the exception of maternity leave -- which is wonderful, but not vacation.
My heart is happy and my head is swimming with thoughts and memories.
Things I learned
To slow down
It's okay to start things over
A certain amount of household chaos is worth an extra moment with your family
Things I let go of
Sending out Christmas cards
Cleaning out my room
Going to the gym (cold knocked me out; antibiotics should get me back on track in a week or so)
Things I discovered
The boy I fell in love with back in high school
My first dad's Bible
Kid City at the Science Museum with Eden and Nathan
Things I already knew that hit home again
I love Christmas
I miss out on a lot of Eden's life while I am away at work
How much I love being outside with Eden
Taking pictures is fun
It is impossible to keep up at home and work full time. It's an unrealistic expectation. Ergo: if you're going to be happy and successful you've got to be okay with cutting corners.
Looking ahead
Can't wait for birthday parties and Valentine's Day in February. At least, from Eden's perspective. She has shown me the joy of celebrating. Nate and I have not always been great celebrators. I'm going to fully embrace holidays and celebrations this year.
Telling my story -- here, and in my scrapbooks. Life is worth documenting.
I've got leftover itches to send some letters, especially since the Christmas cards didn't get out. Not sure if that will materialize into anything, but for now, it's a thought.
Going back to work -- Honestly, I didn't miss work. I don't mind going back, though. I realize that I am extraordinarily lucky to have a job with as much time off as I do, with such great benefits, and work I enjoy. How privileged I am to be able to provide for my family for not much sacrifice. We are truly quite rich in all we need.
This year, I want to live fully, live simply, and love deeply,
No comments:
Post a Comment