11.09.2007

I love mornings

Ahhhhhhhhh
 
No work today. Hooray!
 
It is a beautiful overcast morning and the light is coming through my curtain sheers in a pretty haze. When I padded out to the kitchen to make my coffee this morning the floors were clear and the kitchen clean. I love that.
 
Since I don't have to go to work today I made a coffee cake, and added cinnamon to my coffee grounds. So it's a cozy, quiet, cinnamon-y morning. And I have a Martha Stewart Living magazine I haven't looked through yet. And Nate is curled up on the couch trying to wake up while Frankie can't figure out why we are both here. Ahhhhhh
 
Nate and Hilary and Cameron are not morning people. They all have a zombie-like quality as if they have been dropped on the wrong planet and rudely awoken from a hundred year slumber. Until 11 or 12, sometimes. hee hee hee
 
I've always loved mornings. When we lived in Imperial Beach before Daddy David died I would wake up to the sound of his coffee grinder, then wander downstairs and find him reading the newspaper while he sipped at his first cup of coffee. (He'd take the second one in the car.) He'd pull me up on one knee sometimes and let me read over his arm. But that was usually boring after a moment, so I'd scamper down and go find something else to do. But he always smelled extra good in the morning, and his cheeks were soft from shaving; I loved the smell of his coffee mixed in with his Old Spice aftershave.
 
Today - let's see, we're going to go to Target this morning. I have to get some stuff for my scrapbooking party tonight. And we need gloves, masks, boots and hats for our debris cleaning day tomorrow, up in Ramona. I'm really excited about tomorrow. It will be hard work but it will be an amazing experience, too. I'm so glad I can actively help one person take the next step they need to recover from the fire. And pulling a group of people together to do it has been rewarding. It will be neat to see how all the different people from different places come together for a common cause.
 
The only thing that would make this day better is if there weren't so many miles between San Diego and Michigan....
 
Okay, I'm going to go read about Martha Stewart's sideboard storage strategies. Happy day!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I am so jealous!!!! (Of your clean floor and kitchen, mostly, but also of the coffee cake and cinnamon brew.) I am about to leave work and go scrapbook too - yay! - maybe tomorrow morning I can get that coffee cake. :-) I wish you were here!!!!

xoxo,
Hilary

ps. I'm a morning person now, cause I have to be. Have to pee. Have to.. well, you get it. Never mind. :-)

W.W.M said...

I love the mornings too. It's just the waking up part that I hate ;-)